Monday, July 30, 2012

Blog Reborn

It's been quite a while since I've written anything on my blogs - either this one or the other one that I've been paying for. I got the renewal notice today for my other blog, and decided that it wasn't worth over $100 to host a website that I hardly ever used. It was always so slow to navigate through the administration of that website (I think the host was on the other side of the country!) and anything I could do on that site I can do here, more or less.

If I have any regular readers, then it may be noticed that I deleted all my old posts. I started reading through them and thought they were really kind of pretentious, and I wanted to start over with a clean slate (more or less).

So let me reintroduce myself.

My online monikers tend to either be Platinumwolf or The Surly Pirate. I'm an ex-Navy nuke, having been honorably discharged at the end of my first term - I have kids and didn't want the military life for them. I moved back home, got a job working with my cousin, and went back to University to get my degree. I graduated in December (2011) with a BS in mechanical engineering, and a minor in mathematics.

I'm kind of a nerd/geek.

Since I've been back from the Navy, I've bought a house, bought my first non-hand-me-down car, learned to ride motorcycles, and developed a love of SCUBA. I have three kids of my own, and one niece living with me for the moment. My wife and I have been married for twelve years, and been together for fifteen. She's put her education on hold a few times for various reasons, and is this fall going back to pick up where she left off last time. She's looking to become a sci-fi writer, but most of what she ends up doing is technical writing. There's an irony there...

We've also gotten involved with a local parenting group based around collaborative problem solving (CPS), which as far as I know is primarily based on the book, The Explosive Child.

Right now I've been job hunting for nine months, as my current employer doesn't have the budget for another engineer, plus they need to keep me on in IT for a little while because my old supervisor had to leave a couple months ago, and the new guy they brought on to replace him doesn't have all the institutional knowledge that I do.

I have a few nice prospects. Then again, I had a few nice prospects back in the first quarter of the year, and of a half dozen interviews then - well, I'm still looking, let's leave it at that.

Other than all that, I don't have anything pressing to write, and I rarely do, so I don't expect to post on here all that often. However if I start getting readers, I just might start posting stuff. I might even post some of the articles I've written in the past for the parenting group newsletter, we'll see.

No comments: