Monday, August 27, 2012

Hipster Party??

An entertaining weekend was had by all.

This last weekend, the family and I went to the home of a friendly couple for a "Tacky Hipster" party. Most of us dressed up in various clothing setups that might be labeled Hipster, and just hung out for a few hours - letting children run about and listening to a selection of "Nerdcore Rap" that I dug up.

I also reinstalled the front wheel of my motorcycle (Took it in to a local shop in Philomath to get the tire replaced), changed the spark plugs, and did an oil and filter change. The BMW is having overheating problems, and it's cheaper to tool around on the Yamaha anyway.

Little stressed with 10+ months of job searching, especially since we're looking at a potential drop in income in the next couple of months that will put us negative each month. The wife is headed back to school this fall though, which will allow us to take out some student loans to cover the difference, but I really need a new job. I did have a great interview last week with the college of oceanic and atmospheric science for a position as a faculty research assistant.

I'm really excited about it, and I'm really hoping that they'll call me back. There are all sorts of benefits to the position that I feel like I and my family deserve after all the time I spent fighting to get through school and working, but the thing that really makes me want the job is that I felt like I more or less instantly got along with the crew there, and I'm enamored of the idea of working somewhere that I don't have to listen to the constant nattering of accountants worried about bottom lines and account balances.

I'm sure there's some of that, of course, but I would expect it to be a much different environment as compared to the place I work now.

No comments: